Thursday, March 18, 2010

the beauty of photography

One of the things I enjoy about photography is the ability to use it in a variety of ways. The art of photography is that it's not merely art for art's sake, though it could be. When I look at photos like these, I see art; however, it may not be viewed as art at this school.

High-speed photography is so remarkable.



Wedding/engagement photography is one area that seems to be the most "taboo" here.


Another area, which I love, is fashion photography. I remember last semester, the grad student teaching my class told me fashion photography was my strong point. Following one of my final critiques, I did somewhat of a fashion photography-esque type of project, documenting the shoes I wore everyday paired with a self-portrait. In her near exact words she said, "I never, ever, thought I'd say this, but you really should focus on fashion photography. It seems to be your strong point." Those were the best words I've ever heard since coming into the art school.



Is there even a fine line between commercial photography and art? If there is, should that line even exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment